Friday, May 6, 2016

Pinhole Day: insurance and the rest of the roll.

I wanted to use one of the older 120 cameras to do something special for Pinhole Day, but because I have been very painfully stung by light leaks, I made a point to shoot at least a couple shots with the Populist on Pinhole Day.

I'm part of the coordinating team and have to review images, so a robust internet connection is necessary.  We have occasional periods when our wireless router doesn't behave so politely with Time-Warner's modem, so for a while the only thing I had to work with was my iPhone on my cell plan. (The Worldwide Pinhole Photography web site is pretty portable friendly.)



The old MacBook Pro downstairs with the trashed monitor and the cheap Vizio TV connected as an external screen, which I use to scan all these negatives, is connected to the internet by an actual Cat 5 cable so that stays up almost all the time.



I did one of the 120 Populist shots of the magnolia because I wanted to capture the magnolia petals lying among the violet blossoms.  Including the cane in a shot seemed to place it in the right temporal context, and I think i've given away my fondness for footography.



I took two exposures, and can't really tell which I like better.  Taking the uncertain blogger's prerogative to use as much of Google's server space as i want,  I'll just post both of them.



It turns out I was happy with one of the shots from the Glenlivet Vertical Populist, so the insurance shots weren't necessary.

At the end of the day, I still had four frames left in the Glenlivet and I wanted to process it as soon as possible.

One was supposed to be a sunbeam shining on the sea chest in the living room, but the sun moved away about the time I opened the shutter and it was extremely under exposed.

The other three turned out to also be of that most convenient and cooperative model.

One issue with my enforced bed rest earlier this spring, from sitting up in bed in an odd position, was explicitly a pain in the ass. It was worse than the knee and the Vicodin didn't touch it.  Soaking in a hot tub would have felt really good,  but the recovery protocol banned hot baths which were likely to exacerbate the swelling in the surgical knee.  By Pinhole Day that danger was mostly gone, and Monday morning, I had a long soak.  You'll note the only sharp body part is the surgical knee which I kept out of the hot water, just in case.



Monday was as nice a day as Sunday was cold and rainy. I read Sky & Telescope on the porch while I waited for my hair to dry.




Took a close-up to show off my clean hair. I don't really need to use the cane anymore to support the surgical knee, but on long walks it helps me go farther on the other knee. And I kind of like the image of the gentleman with a walking stick.  I put this up as my new profile photo on Facebook.





3 comments:

  1. Impressive bath shot!, I must wash sometime this year, always handy for those 6 month exposures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good thing there's no way to do Smell-o-vision with pinhole yet.

      Delete
  2. Always nice to see the one behind the film!

    ReplyDelete